Join our expert team
We are currently looking for a motivated and proactive Defence Manager to join its international team in Brussels and support the association’s defence-related activities. Starting date: As soon as possible.
The Aerospace, Security and Defence Industries Association of Europe (ASD) represents the aeronautics, space, defence and security industries in Europe in all matters of common interest with the objective of promoting and supporting the competitive development of our ecosystem. Within ASD, the Defence Business Unit (DBU) defines the strategy and objectives of the association for the defence sector and contributes, with the support of several working groups, to the shaping of relevant EU regulatory and policy measures and NATO initiatives, as appropriate.
The successful candidate will report to the Director for Defence and Security and contribute to the work of the Defence team in following and analysing relevant policy and regulatory developments, contributing to the development of common industry positions and supporting ASD’s outreach and advocacy. This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career individual to contribute to the work of a thriving association representing an industry that is vital for Europe’s security.
Key areas of responsibility
Under the guidance of the Director for Defence and Security, the Defence Manager shall:
• Cooperate with the other members of the ASD defence team to support the Defence Business Unit (DBU)
• Support, coordinate and manage the working groups that report to the DBU
• Monitor and assess relevant EU and NATO initiatives impacting Europe’s defence industrial base
• Contribute to the development of common industry positions
• Establish and maintain regular contacts with relevant EU and NATO stakeholders
• Contribute to ASD’s outreach and advocacy
• Ensure synergies and cooperation with other ASD working groups
• Support and advise the Defence and Security Director
Background and experience
• Master’s degree, preferably in European Affairs/International Relations/Security Studies or equivalent, with specialisation in defence (gained through academic or professional experience)
• Experience related to the EU and/or NATO institutional environment and/or the defence industry is an advantage
Skills and competences
• Robust knowledge of EU defence-specific policies; knowledge of other EU policies impacting the defence industrial base is a strong asset
• Thorough understanding of EU legislative and decision-making processes
• Precise, analytical and contextual thinking
• Political sensitivity
• Capacity to learn fast, be flexible and think ahead
• Proficiency in oral and written English
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Good teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Digital literacy (very good Internet research and Microsoft Office skills)
A full-time job in a dynamic and intellectually-stimulating environment with an attractive, indefinite-duration employment contract, including benefits, working for a strategically important industry at a crucial time for Europe.
All applicants should send their CV and cover letter in English to email@example.com, with the reference “Defence Manager”. The closing date for applications is 3 March 2024.
ASD is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.