Climate neutral aviation
Net zero emissions by 2050
The European aviation industry is facing a major challenge: how to reduce its environmental impact and achieve climate neutrality by 2050. This is why the industry has joined forces to develop a comprehensive roadmap for a sustainable future: Destination 2050 - A Route to Net Zero European Aviation.
Uniting against climate change
A combination of reductions in four key areas could result in climate neutral aviation by 2050
- -37 %
Improvements in aircraft and engine technologies
- -34 %
Using sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs)
- -8 %
Implementing economic measures
- -6 %
Improvements in air traffic management (ATM) and aircraft operations
ASD is at the forefront of driving sustainability in the aviation sector in Europe, actively contributing to various initiatives and global environmental efforts
- Destination 2050ASD plays a crucial role in promoting Destination 2050, a comprehensive roadmap committed to achieving net-zero emissions from flights within and departing from the EU, UK, and EFTA regions by 2050
- Global participation for net zero aviationASD actively participates in global environmental efforts through key organisations like ICCAIA, ATAG, and the ICAO Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection.
- Beyond CO2 emissionsASD's commitment extends beyond CO2 emissions to addressing the broader issue of aviation's non-CO2 effects on climate change.
- Sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs)ASD’s members are a driving force in the adoption of sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs) in aviation
- A regulatory framework for sustainabilityASD champions sustainability in European aviation and we advocate for a robust regulatory framework to support it
Explore a range of ASD papers on issues relating to promoting climate neutral aviation
- Net Zero Industry Act 2023Discover the European Commission's groundbreaking Net-Zero Industry Act (NZIA) and how it's set to drive green innovation. Explore key objectives, technology inclusions, aviation decarbonisation, and industry collaboration in this overview from ASD.
- Non-CO2 Emissions from AviationExplore the European civil aviation industry’s strategies to curb non-CO2 emissions. From fuel innovations to eco-friendly operations, discover the industry's roadmap to a sustainable and net-zero future.
- Monitoring Non-CO2 Aviation EffectsExplore ASD's recommendations for a robust MRV framework, addressing non-CO2 aviation effects. Committing to a net-zero emissions future by 2050, ASD advocates scientifically validated information, reducing administrative burden, and collaborative solutions for the European aviation industry.
- Complementarity of Sustainable Aviation Fuels and HydrogenASD charts a greener course for aviation decarbonisation, blending sustainable aviation fuels and hydrogen. Explore ambitious targets and recommendations for a sustainable future in air travel.
- Airbus takes flight with record sustainable aviation fuel usageDiscover how Airbus soared to new heights in sustainability, doubling its use of Sustainable Aviation Fuel in 2023 and cutting CO2 emissions by 23,587 tonnes
- Hydrogen-powered flight: a leap towards sustainable aviationExplore the revolutionary leap in aviation with Airbus's hydrogen-powered flight. Discover how hydrogen could transform air travel.
- How SESAR is revolutionising air traffic management in EuropeThe SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking aims to transform Europe’s ATM infrastructure using the latest digital technologies to handle future demand and diversity of air traffic safely and sustainably.