Climate and defence
Decarbonising the defence industry
Climate change is one of the great global challenges of our time. Governments, civil societies and
industry are urgently working to mitigate climate change and adapt to a warming Earth.
Global action fighting climate change
Governments, civil society and industry are urgently working to mitigate climate change. Targets have been agreed at international, EU, and national levels to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Understanding greenhouse gas emissions from defence
- Technology driving decarbonisationA number of lower-emission technologies are already being developed, tested and used in the defence industry
- Reducing energy use at Portsmouth naval baseDiscover how ASD member BAE Systems transformed energy use at Portsmouth Naval Base, reducing carbon emissions by 65%.
- Charting a course to cleaner seas: digital twin technologyASD member, Kongsberg developed a cutting-edge digital twin solution to help steer the maritime industry towards a greener future by optimising fuel efficiency and reducing emissions
Explore ASD papers on issues relating to climate and defence
- Decarbonising DefenceExplore carbon reduction efforts in the European defence sector and innovative solutions for a greener future in this ASD Paper.
- Sustainability and the European Defence IndustryDiscover the symbiotic relationship between sustainability and defence in Europe. ASD's position paper highlights the positive contributions of the defence industry, and urges coherence in EU policies.